All Mi-STAR teachers are supported by a facilitator or coach on the local level as they implement Mi-STAR. We train and certify qualified individuals as Mi-STAR Professional Learning Facilitators and Mi-STAR Coaches.
Professional Learning Facilitators and Coaches
Mi-STAR PLFs and Coaches support Mi-STAR teachers to implement the curriculum. PLFs are also trained to facilitate teacher training and ongoing PLCs.
Role of Mi-STAR PLFs and Coaches:
- Register new teachers
- Support and mentor new teachers in completing Phase 1 and 2 training in their first year, either through Mi-STAR virtual opportunities or locally with a PLF
- Problem-solve and offer guidance and encouragement for new and experienced Mi-STAR teachers
- Serve as a liaison with Mi-STAR staff
- Communicate Mi-STAR news, updates, and PL opportunities
- Serve as an advocate with district administration and the community
- The Facilitator Pathway is for individuals with the appropriate STEM background and previous experience in facilitating professional learning in-district or within an ISD, such as coaches, consultants, and district leaders.
- The Coach Pathway is for teachers who would like to grow into a teacher leader role or district leaders who wish to support Mi-STAR implementation but who are not in a position to provide professional learning.
- We recommend that training participants have had at least one of the following trainings: NGSx training, Modeling in Michigan training, MISCIPL@N workshops (Tier I, II, and III).
Summer 2022 Virtual Training Opportunity for PLFs and Coaches
See our Events for Educators page for training opportunities. Summer training dates will be set in Spring 2022.
The activities for this pathway are listed in sequential order below:
Facilitator and Coach Pathway Overview
Introduction to the Mi-STAR Curriculum for Facilitators
PLF and Coach trainees complete an online asynchronous Canvas course. This course provides an introduction to the structure of the Mi-STAR curriculum and resources to support teachers to engage students in 3D learning. This course takes about six hours to complete.
PLF and Coach trainees participate in six PLC meetings with training leaders as they work through the Introduction to the Curriculum for New PLFs and Coaches Canvas course.
Facilitate Teacher Pathway
PLFs and Coaches support teachers as they complete the training and begin to implement the Mi-STAR curriculum in their classrooms.
Facilitators have the option to provide the Phase 1 Introduction to the Curriculum PLC meetings for their teachers, or to have teachers participate in that activity virtually with Mi-STAR staff.
Communicate Updates from Mi-STAR
Certified PLFs and Coaches are the first point of contact for teachers who have questions about implementing Mi-STAR. PLFs and Coaches share updates from Mi-STAR regularly, such as when new curriculum and pedagogy resources become available or when there are new virtual professional learning opportunities. They also report back to Mi-STAR regarding their teachers’ successes and challenges.
Quarterly Check-In Meetings
Certified PLFs and Coaches virtually join other PLFs, Coaches, and Mi-STAR staff for quarterly meetings to discuss updates with Mi-STAR and to share successes and challenges in supporting teachers as they complete the Professional Learning Program and implement the Mi-STAR curriculum.
Annual PLF Refresher Sessions
PLFs and Coaches participate in two hours of Annual PLF Refreshers on timely topics that help them support teachers in their area to implement Mi-STAR. These include Mi-STAR Learning Series sessions, webinars, and MSTA presentations.