Professional Learning Events
- Mi-STAR Learning Series
- Phase 1 Introduction to the Curriculum for Teachers training
- New! Phase 2 Build Your Toolkit Virtual Sessions
Mi-STAR Learning SeriesThe Mi-STAR Learning Series provides teachers with access to presentations and discussions via Zoom. A discussion component will follow every presentation so that this activity can promote a sense of community and collaboration among participants. SCECHs are available for these sessions.
Image: Valentina Domenici 77 / CC BY-SA (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)
Register now! Wednesday, August 18, 3:30 - 5 pm Be Proactive: Help Your Stakeholders Get Onboard with Mi-STAR Now
Proactively introducing your parents and guardians, PTO, administrators, and other stakeholders to the differences and benefits of an NGSS-aligned curriculum like Mi-STAR early in the school year can go a long way towards avoiding frustrations and misunderstandings later on. Hear first-hand experiences from seasoned teachers and explore Mi-STAR resources, then spend time working with colleagues to prepare your own proactive materials for use this September!
- Adapting Mi-STAR Units to Integrate Place-Based Learning (work presented partially supported by LSSI and MiSTEM Region 16) - May 19, 2021
- A Place for Everyone – Exploring student perceptions about who scientists are and what they do - April 22, 2021
- Adapting Classroom Activities to a Digital Format - March 24, 2021
- Adapting the Modeling Process with Technology - February 24, 2021
- Mi-STAR AMA (ask me anything) (no session resources) - November 19, 2020
- Developing Language for English Learners - October 27, 2020
- Assessing Students Virtually - October 1, 2020
- Best Practices in Remote Learning - September 16, 2020
- Remote Teaching Resources for Mi-STAR Units - August 19, 2020
- Remote Learning with Mi-STAR: Ideas and Solutions, Part 2 - May 7, 2020
- Remote Learning with Mi-STAR: Ideas and Solutions, Part 1 - April 16, 2020
Phase 2: Build Your Toolkit Synchronous Virtual Sessions
Phase 2 Virtual Sessions are designed to enhance the pedagogical skills of new Mi-STAR teachers, and each two-hour session counts towards the Phase 2 teacher goal of six hours of Toolkit Instruction in the first year teaching Mi-STAR. (Alternatively, Phase 2 teachers may choose three of the five Canvas courses on Phase 2 topics to meet their requirement. The Canvas courses are not part of the virtual sessions.)
Phase 2 Virtual Sessions are open to all interested Mi-STAR teachers, support staff, PLFs, and Coaches.
Click on the link to register:
Phase 2 Virtual Session: The Unit Bubble Map, October 21, 2021
Phase 2 Virtual Session: System Models, November 11, 2021
Phase 2 Virtual Session: Claim, Evidence, Reasoning, January 20, 2022
Phase 2 Virtual Session: Productive Talk, March 24, 2022
Phase 2 Virtual Session: Assessment, April 27, 2022
All sessions run from 4 to 6 p.m.
Mi-STAR Assessment Series
The Mi-STAR Assessment Series will return February 9, 2022! Watch for opportunities to sign up in late fall.
Past Assessment Series sessions:
Session One: Mi-STAR Assessment Design
February 10, 2021, 3:30 - 5:30 pm
Session Two: Classroom Implementation of Mi-STAR Assessments
March 10, 2021, 3:30 - 5:30 pm
Session Three: Communication of Purpose of Mi-STAR Assessments to Students, Parents, and Other Stakeholders
April 14, 2021, 3:30 - 5:30 pm