Events for Educators
Winter 2022 - Use the MyMi-STAR Dashboard to sign up!
- Mi-STAR Learning Series
- Phase 1 New Teacher Training (January)
- Phase 2 Build Your Toolkit Virtual Sessions and Canvas Courses
- Mi-STAR Assessment Series
Mi-STAR Learning SeriesThe Mi-STAR Learning Series offers virtual presentations and discussions via Zoom on topics relevant to middle school science teachers, such as best practices in remote learning and support for ELL students. Breakout rooms and a whole group discussion component follows each presentation to promote a sense of community and collaboration among participants. Presentation resources and session recordings are made available after each event. See below to register for upcoming events and access past session resources.
If there isn't enough time to teach everything, what should you teach? What do your science students REALLY need to succeed in high school and beyond? Learn how to use Mi-STAR resources to make the best selections of what to focus on in your limited time with students.
Stay tuned for more spring dates and topics.
Share your ideas for future Mi-STAR Learning Series topics!
- Text-based Inquiry in Middle School Science - November 3, 2021
- How teaching Mi-STAR can be part of earning a highly effective rating from your administrator - October 13, 2021
- Be Prepared! Mi-STAR tools and resources to make your teaching life easier this year - September 15, 2021
- Be Proactive: Help Your Stakeholders Get Onboard with Mi-STAR Now - August 18, 2021
- Adapting Mi-STAR Units to Integrate Place-Based Learning (work presented partially supported by LSSI and MiSTEM Region 16) - May 19, 2021
- A Place for Everyone – Exploring student perceptions about who scientists are and what they do - April 22, 2021
- Adapting Classroom Activities to a Digital Format - March 24, 2021
- Adapting the Modeling Process with Technology - February 24, 2021
- Mi-STAR AMA (ask me anything) (no session resources) - November 19, 2020
- Developing Language for English Learners - October 27, 2020
- Assessing Students Virtually - October 1, 2020
- Best Practices in Remote Learning - September 16, 2020
- Remote Teaching Resources for Mi-STAR Units - August 19, 2020
- Remote Learning with Mi-STAR: Ideas and Solutions, Part 2 - May 7, 2020
- Remote Learning with Mi-STAR: Ideas and Solutions, Part 1 - April 16, 2020
Phase 2: Build Your Toolkit Synchronous Virtual Sessions
Phase 2 Virtual Sessions are designed to enhance the pedagogical skills of new Mi-STAR teachers, and each two-hour session counts towards the Phase 2 teacher goal of six hours of Toolkit Instruction in the first year teaching Mi-STAR. (Alternatively, Phase 2 teachers may choose three of the five Canvas courses on Phase 2 topics to meet their requirement. The Canvas courses are not part of the virtual sessions.)
Phase 2 Virtual Sessions are open to all interested Mi-STAR teachers, support staff, PLFs, and Coaches.
Registeration available now on the MyMi-STAR Teacher Dashboard!
Phase 2 Virtual Session: Productive Talk, January 20, 2022
Phase 2 Virtual Session: Claim, Evidence, Reasoning, March 24, 2022
Phase 2 Virtual Session: Assessment, April 27, 2022
All sessions run from 4 to 6 p.m.
Phase 2: Build Your Toolkit Canvas Courses
Prefer to work at your own pace? Use the link on the MyMi-STAR Teacher Dashboard to get an invitation to these Phase 2 Canvas Courses:
Unit Bubble Maps
Claim, Evidence, Reasoning (Coming soon!)
While designed to meet the needs of new Mi-STAR teachers, we encourage any and all interested teachers to use Phase 2 courses to build pedagogical skills. The courses include the whats, the whys, and most importantly, the hows of classroom implementation. They may be used to meet PLF/Coach refresher requirements as well.
Mi-STAR Assessment Series
The Mi-STAR Assessment Series will return February 9, 2022! Watch for opportunities to sign up on the MyMi-STAR Teacher Dashboard.
Upcoming Assessment Series sessions:
Session One: Mi-STAR Assessment Design
February 9, 2022, 3:30 - 5:30 pm
Session Two: Classroom Implementation of Mi-STAR Assessments
March 9, 2022, 3:30 - 5:30 pm
Session Three: Communication of Purpose of Mi-STAR Assessments to Students, Parents, and Other Stakeholders
April 13, 2022, 3:30 - 5:30 pm
Image: Valentina Domenici 77 / CC BY-SA (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)