Unit 6.7: Cycling of Energy and Matter Through Food WebsIn this unit, students help maintain the local food system by discovering and then explaining why a single garden plot is failing within an otherwise thriving community garden. Students model how, even in human systems, producers, consumers and decomposers cycle matter and energy within and between ecosystems. As part of their investigation, students delve deeply into how producers, like vegetables, make food out of “thin air” through photosynthesis. Eventually students use their model to recommend strategies to return the garden plot to its former glory.
Unit Challenge Question: How can we use old food to make new food?
Link to Unit Overview (coming soon)
- Unit Content Resources:Unit NGSS Connections (coming soon)
- Prior and Future Knowledge (coming soon)
- Unit Materials List (coming soon)
- Teacher Background Content Resources (coming soon)
- Compiled Gotta Have Checklist*
- Unit External Web Links