Would you or your fellow educators benefit from an introduction to NGSS? We offer the Mi-STAR Academy, a 12-hour online, self-paced, course.
Looking for a more intensive experience with NGSS-aligned curriculum? We provide professional development on NGSS and the Mi-STAR Instructional Model to all of the teachers on our team. This professional development is provided as part of summer curriculum development or unit testing. Contact us!
Mi-STAR Professional Learning Program
Mi-STAR’s professional learning plan gives educators, schools, and districts everything they need to transition to the new Michigan Science Standards and implement the Mi-STAR curriculum.
For the 2017-18 school year, teachers that have completed the Mi-STAR Professional Learning Program will have access to six Mi-STAR units, two for each middle grade level. There are some materials needed to teach each of the units. Teachers will find that they have many of the materials on hand, but full materials lists for each of the six units are linked as follows: 6.1, 6.6, 7.1, 7.3, 8.6, 8.7.
Mi-STAR Professional Learning Facilitator Training Program
To keep costs down for schools and districts that will be implementing the Mi-STAR curriculum, Mi-STAR offers a training program that will prepare school or district staff members to support teachers who are interested in implementing the curriculum. This training will take place at least once a year at sites and dates to be determined based on interest. These facilitators will also provide ongoing support to teachers as they implement the curriculum in their classrooms.
The first Mi-STAR Professional Learning Facilitator Training will be held August 21-23, 2017 in the Lansing area.
Training for Professional Learning Facilitators consists of the following elements:
- Mi-STAR Academy
- Mi-STAR Academy Unit-Specific Course(s).
- Professional Learning Facilitator Preparation Face-to-Face Training Session.
- In order to continue serving as a Professional Learning Facilitator, each Facilitator will be required to participate in an annual one-day face-to-face refresher course. .
For more information on each component of the training for Professional Learning Facilitators and for pricing information, contact Marianne Semones, email@example.com.
Certified Mi-STAR Professional Learning Facilitators will be qualified to coordinate and conduct a Professional Learning program for classroom teachers.
About Mi-STAR Professional Learning Facilitators
Mi-STAR’s professional learning program is conducted by Mi-STAR Professional Learning Facilitators. Typical Mi-STAR Professional Learning Facilitators have the following characteristics: Good understanding of pedagogy required to successfully implement the new Michigan Science Standards.
- Teaching certification in a STEM discipline or STEM bachelor’s degree.
- Experience conducting professional learning for teachers or extensive STEM teaching experience.
- Good communication and people skills.
- Willingness and ability to work with new and veteran science teachers.
- Experience with at least one of the following professional learning experiences (offered through the Michigan Math and Science Center Network; comparable opportunities may be available in other states):
- Modeling in Michigan
- MISCIPL@N Workshops (Tier I, II, and III)
- Satisfactory completion of the Mi-STAR Professional Learning Facilitator training program.
- Ongoing collaboration with other Mi-STAR Professional Learning Facilitators and completion of required refresher training courses.
Professional Learning for Classroom Teachers
Before accessing or implementing the Mi-STAR curriculum, teachers need to complete the Mi-STAR Professional Learning program. This professional learning for classroom teachers is coordinated and facilitated by Mi-STAR Professional Learning Facilitators.
The Professional Learning program for classroom teachers consists of the components listed below. Participants must participate fully in all components.
- Mi-STAR Academy
- Experiential Sessions
- Mi-STAR Academy Unit-Specific Course(s)
- Ongoing Professional Learning Community (PLC) Sessions
- Previous experience with NGSx and/or Modeling in Michigan is recommended.
For more information on each component of the Professional Learning program for classroom teachers and for pricing information, contact Marianne Semones, firstname.lastname@example.org.